Sunday, April 10, 2011

Current Projects

Just so you know I'm still part of this blog, here are a couple of pictures of my current projects.  One not so quilty or sewing related.

This bathroom has been the domain of 3 teenage boys for the last 7+ years and I was a little afraid to go in there. I'm still kicking myself for not taking any before pictures. You would think I would know better by now!  Anyway, after the youngest boy moved out last fall, I decided it was time to take down the fishy wallpaper border and make this room grow up a little!  I made my husband remove the toilet and throw it away because I refused to even touch it. Along with this little project, I also decided it was time to update all the toilets (3) in our house to more water efficient models, so I didn't need to keep the boys old, nasty toilet. (BTW, lesson learned...I used to have the attitude that as long as the boys wanted to live in dirt, it was their bathroom and I never went in there, so when they told me they had done their chores and cleaned the bathroom, I rarely verified it was actually done.  Now that they are all out and I decided to start working on this room, I have discovered that if I had been checking up on them, I wouldn't have had to spend hours scrubbing the tub to get it clean. There may be a cleaning deposit required of any children desiring to move back home, refundable upon their departure, pending inspection of their vacated living spaces!)  Anyway, I decided the 13 year old linoleum needed to be replaced, but I'm trying to do this remodel on a tight budget, so I headed to Home Depot and discovered this tile. Isn't it great?  Wanna know the best part?

It's peel and stick vinyl tile!!!  Yes, you read that right, it's VINYL!!!!  Those are real grout lines. This tile is made to be installed either with or without grout and we decided to go with.  It looks amazingly like real ceramic tile, even installed! It's thicker than other peel and sticks that I have used and cutting it was almost more difficult than ceramic tile (I've installed ceramic AND travertine!) but I'm really pleased with the results!  I was able to lay the tile and grout, all in 1 day. I probably would have been finished in 1/2 a day, but I can't ever go with the simple, straight layout. I just love the look of tile set "on point" :)

On a quiltier (I just made up that word!) note, here's what I'm working on in my sewing room (right next door to the bathroom with the beautiful  new tile).


Here is the beginning of a new quilt! Those are all rows of different shades of purple Kona cotton. They are getting matched up with some Kona charcoal and Kona ash.  I'll post more pics when I have more to show. I just thought the strip sets looked so cool all lined up in the project tub, so I sent a text pic to Kirsten and she told me to post on the blog.  Now back to more cutting and sewing!

No comments: