Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Finished Custom Job

I finished this beautiful king-size duvet and pillowcase custom order just before Labor Day Weekend.

IMG_4844

My bed is definitely NOT a king….so it’s a bit big :) And I wouldn’t normally put customer work on my bed, but this job was for one of my mom’s friends from work. ps- do you like my amazing gray walls? I should show you a before picture. It was a VERY gold tan…

IMG_4841

The fabric was absolutely GORGEOUS, and was super lightweight so it was great for a duvet! I backed the duvet with a sheet though, since the top was actually a last minute fabric change and I thought it was going to be heavier weight. Heavy fabric + duvet insert = a bed covering you never want to MOVE, let alone sleep under! And Target has some super super soft sheets that they sell individually, not as a sheet set, so it was perfect :)

This order also included this awesome quilt:

IMG_4847

I KNOW I say this about all the quilts I make, but I L O V E this quilt! It is about 60”x74”. Jen is a little taller than average, and was tired of blankets that would cover either her shoulders or her feet, but not both at the same time if she was stretched out, so she wanted a nice, long throw quilt. And oh is it nice!

IMG_4850

I backed it in this navy print from Sweetwater’s Reunion line. Have you felt the softness of that fabric? If you haven’t you should! It is SOOOO SOFT!!! Add in mostly Sweetwater fabrics on the front, and I wanted to keep it. Or make an exact replica for me, either way.

IMG_4852

I quilted 1/4” away from the seams so that the chevron would repeat on the back. I also used navy thread in my bobbin so that it would stay subtle.

IMG_4856

I also got to hand-deliver this, which was so much fun! It was a neat experience to watch a customer be so excited about and thrilled with something I had created.

And since she said “This is MINE, my husband better keep his mitts off it!”, who knows, I might have to make another soon!

2 comments:

fabrications2B said...

they are both fabulous! I've been mulling over "quilt vs duvet" with a pieced top I finished. You've helped me decide...i'll let you know next phxmqg! how did you finish it off at the bottom? buttons/buttonholes?

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous duvet! And yeah, I wanted that quilt too. :) Photos are awesome, btw. I'm so jealous of your home with windows!