Monday, February 18, 2013

PhxMQG Mug Rug Swap

Saturday was the Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild’s February meeting, and we held a little mug rug swap. I love doing these little swaps, because I use it as an opportunity to learn and stretch my creativity and skill.
Of course, creativity didn’t strike until about 8pm the night before…and my idea was a little crazy and time consuming…
You that lovely lone starburst block that is so popular right now? I had the bright idea to scale it down to mug rug size! (I have a few in progress photos on instagram, but I have no idea how to get them to my blog. Help?!?)
Here’s my result:
IMG_7127
I love it sooo much!!! The inner white pieces finish at a mere 1/8” wide!!! The whole thing is 6 1/2” square
IMG_7137
Here’s a shot with a nickel for an idea of scale. Seriously tiny piecing going on. Now the problem is I will never be able to throw away even the tiniest scrap of fabric, because what if I NEED it some day??
IMG_7129
I backed it in this fun colorful Kumari Garden print. And I got to use one of my brand new tags!!! I found the awesomest Etsy shop ever. Cassie at GutenTags is seriously awesome, and I will definitely be back for more from her.
IMG_7132
And the back side of my new tags :)
IMG_7130
Ok, here’s where my story gets silly. We did a random swap for the guild mug rug swap, and I was the last to get one. And guess which mug rug was last to be distributed….Mine!! To save confusion, and because I really do love it, I kept my own mug rug…I felt so dumb taking my own back….but then again, I am really excited that it gets to live with me after the hours of teeny tiny piecing I put into it :)
IMG_7123
And here are some shots of all the lovely mug rug that got swapped on Saturday:
IMG_7152IMG_7151
IMG_7154IMG_7153
(Mom’s is that cute itty bitty dresden plate next to mine :) ) We have some awesome talent in our guild!

PS- QUILT CON IS THIS WEEK!!! Getting super excited! If it is quiet around here, it is because I am frantically trying to get my house in order and ready for me to be gone for a few days! And packing...

4 comments:

LightOfTheMoon said...

I love it! Beautifully crafted. I'm sad I didn't get to see it in person.

Andee said...

I LOVED yours adn your mom's too! I would have kept it too!

Nedra said...

I've been searching your blog for your e-mail address, and can't find it, so hopefully you will get this comment. Trying to reach your mom Tracy to see if she (and you too?) are coming to Dream Laugh Create party on Thursday night?
Nedra nedras@mstar.net

Unknown said...

ow its awesome
Clipping Path