Sunday, January 10, 2010

Loose Change or Aaron's quilt

When I saw this pattern by Tula Pink, I knew I had to make it!  I thought it looked just like a coin quilt, but with loose change, not nice and neatly stacked coins.  So I'm calling mine, Loose Change.

The front!

For Christmas, I made quilts to send to two of my sons that are serving missions for our Church, which I will blog sometime. Then I thought my youngest son, and the only kid still at home, also needed a quilt for Christmas. Of course, I didn't decide this until a few weeks before Christmas, but I remembered the idea of a Loose Change quilt and also that a few months ago, I purchased 2 Moda Grab Bags that had strips from Essence by Sandy Gervais and Shirtings 1875-1900 by Terry Clothier Thompson lines.


The back (notice Aaron's toes peeking out at the bottom)

I decided to go with a color scheme that would go along with his favorite color, which is burnt orange, and the darker tones from these two grab bags were perfect.  I added a few other fabrics, including several from Buggy Barn Basics by The Buggy Barn for Henry Glass & Co, and others that I found at my favorite LQS. Since I started this quilt so close to Christmas, and when I had tons of other projects that I was madly trying to finish for Christmas, I gave my boy his quilt only half way quilted and with no binding.




Today, I finally finished Aaron's quilt and he will be able to sleep with it tonight.  The binding is the Red Polka-Dot from Wiscasset by Polly Minick and Laurie Simpson for Moda Fabrics.


 The Label

I took the pictures outside while it was still light, if overcast and I hadn't washed it or sewed on the label yet.  This was a little later, inside and using a flash.  I really wish I had a better camera and more talent at taking pictures!

Tracy

1 comment:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I love that, Loose Change! And the wavy quilting is perfectly masculine :)

Really, really cool. A must-try now.